Introduction to How to Replace a Lost Passport

Sponsored Links

Realizing you have a lost passport is a stressful experience. Whether you have upcoming plans or are already traveling, you do not want to realize you do not have the documents you need to travel. If you have a stolen passport, this stress can be heightened even more. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to replace your lost US passport no matter where you are in the world.

When you realize you have a lost or stolen passport, one of the first steps you need to take is contacting your federal government representative. The agency or office you need to contact depends on where you are. Even if you have a lost expired passport, it is important that you take the necessary steps to ensure your information is protected and that you can travel where you need to go. The quicker you report your missing document, the likelier you are to keep your identity safe.

How to Report a Lost Passport

You may be wondering what to do if your passport is lost or stolen. The first step you need to take is reporting the status of your document. Once you report that you do not have your passport, it will be invalid. This means that if anyone has it, he or she cannot use it for international travel. For these reasons, you must report that your US passport is stolen or lost as soon as possible. If you are wondering how to report a stolen passport, keep in mind that you can do so:

  • Online by visiting the government’s website and submitting DS-64 online.
  • By mailing Form DS-64 to the U.S. Department of State.
  • By calling the federal government to report the status of your document.

Remember that when you submit the lost passport form, you need to provide an explanation as to why you do not have your travel document. However, you are not required to submit a police report along with your document. If you have one, though, you should include it.

How to Replace a Lost US Passport

Whether you have a lost passport card or book, you may need to replace your document eventually. Keep in mind that you are not required to apply for a new ID when you report your lost or stolen passport. You can replace your document whenever you want. Keep in mind, though, that you cannot apply for a lost passport renewal. You must apply for a new document. This means you need to fill out Form DS-11. Along with this application, you must submit:

  • Proof that you are a U.S. citizen.
  • Your government ID.
  • A passport photo.
  • Payment for the services you request.

How much does it cost to replace a lost passport?

The lost passport fee you need to pay upon applying for a replacement document depends on the type of credential you need. Passport cards cost less than passport books. Furthermore, a child passport is cheaper than an adult one. The passport costs are as follows:

  • Adult passport book – $110
  • Adult passport card – $30
  • Child passport book – $80
  • Child passport card – $15

When you replace a lost passport, you must also pay a $35 acceptance or execution fee. You are responsible for paying this amount in addition to the fees listed above. If you need to have your passport expedited, you can pay extra to receive your document in a hurry. This service costs an additional $60.

How long does it take to replace a lost passport?

Once you apply for a passport, it generally takes between four and six weeks for you to receive your document. However, if you have a replacement for your lost passport expedited, you can receive the document in as few as two or three weeks. If you have an emergency and need to travel abroad soon, you can apply for your credentials at a passport agency. In these instances, you can receive your documents in eight business days.

Sponsored Links

What do I do if I lost my passport abroad?

If you have a lost US passport while abroad, you need to go to your nearest consulate or embassy. You cannot travel internationally if you do not have your passport with you, even if your trip would be to return to the United States. To replace a U.S. passport abroad, you must provide:

  • Your ID.
  • A passport photo.
  • Evidence that you are a U.S. citizen.
  • Proof of upcoming travel plans.
  • The DS-11 passport application.
  • The DS-64 lost passport statement.
  • Payment for your new passport.

Under some extreme conditions, you can have your lost passport fee waived so you can receive a limited-validity passport. However, when you are back in the United States, you would need to pay the fee associated with obtaining a regular passport.