Beginner’s Guide to the US Passport Agency

The US passport agency is an important government facility. However, the majority of international travelers never need to apply at these locations. Individuals must meet certain requirements to go to their regional passport agency and apply for their travel credentials. Usually, these criteria are met because applicants have extenuating circumstances that require them to go abroad in a hurry. In these situations, individuals do not have time to apply for their travel documents at a standard passport office.

If you have a similar circumstance, you need to apply for your credential at a US Department of State passport agency. There are 27 of these facilities located throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. Since there are only a limited number of these agencies, they are not in every state. As a result, these facilities are often busy because they provide support to residents in various cities. For example, the San Francisco Passport Agency services a large region in California. On the other side of the country, the New York Passport Agency provides expedited services to many applicants. While there are a little more than two dozen of these facilities scattered around the country, they are usually located in large cities.

Who can apply at a regional passport agency?

Every international traveler does not qualify to apply for his or her travel credentials at one of the nation’s passport agency locations. In fact, applicants must have immediate travel plans in order to obtain their passports at these facilities. Usually, this is due to an emergency abroad that requires you to travel within two weeks.

However, candidates may also need to apply at a passport agency because they booked a cruise and did not know they needed a passport until the last minute. Regardless of the reason, individuals can only apply at their nearest passport agency if they can provide proof of their upcoming travel plans.

Passport Agency Appointment

You need to schedule an appointment at a regional passport agency in order to apply there. Otherwise, you cannot obtain agency services. For convenience, you can schedule a passport agency appointment online. You can also make an appointment at a passport agency by phone. To do this, you must call the National Passport Information Center.

What to Bring to Get Your US Passport Expedited at an Agency

When you get your expedited passport at an agency, there are certain items you need to bring with you. This includes the standard passport application materials, such as:

  • Form DS-11 or Form DS-82, depending on whether you are applying for a new passport or renewing a current one.
  • Proof that you are a U.S. citizen.
  • A current, government-issued ID.
  • A passport photo.
  • Payment for the services you obtain.

Furthermore, you must also go to your local passport agency with proof of your upcoming trip. You can bring your cruise itinerary or proof that you purchased a flight. You can also bring confirmation that you booked a hotel abroad.

National Passport Agency Fees

When you apply for the passport expedited at agency service, you need to pay a $60 fee. This is the standard fee associated with having your document expedited. However, you must also pay any other applicable application and acceptance fees that are associated with your new passport application.

How do I find a US passport agency near me?

You must visit the Department of State’s website to find a local passport agency near you. Depending on where you live, you may need to travel to a nearby city or state to reach one of these facilities.